Self-Monitoring Blood Glucose level is essential for your Diabetes management. It is a hassle if you need to check your glucose level every day at your local clinics or hospital. Luckily, technology has brought the Glucometer to be commercialized for public use. It would be best if you bought a Glucometer for this.
A glucometer is a device that can measure your glucose level from one drop of blood. People with diabetes Type 1 and 2 use this device for monitoring.
Before you buy a glucometer, you need to remember these nine tips:
- It should have an easy-to-read display that can help people with vision difficulties.
- It should be easy to use. Glucometers that need to enter a specific code or unique key every time you want to use them should be avoided.
- Have a backlight option so it can be easy to use when there is not enough light or in a dark environment.
- It should be easy to calibrate.
- Calibration is vital to ensure the results are always accurate. It would be better if it had automatic coding for calibration whenever you start using a new box of strips. Incorrect coding due to human error can cause misleading results regarding your glucose level.
- It should be sensitive enough to give accurate results with blood less than one microliter. This does help people that are sensitive or afraid of using lancets.
- Testing time should be fast, 10 seconds or less, because you must measure up to multiple times a day.
- Patients should consider the cost of the device, test strips, and lancets.
- Ensure it is certified by the FDA, CE, or has ISO 13485 accreditation.
- The size must be small, like a palm, as it is easy to carry.
In conclusion, remembering these tips will help you to choose the perfect Glucometer that suits your situation the most. Since glucometers can be easy to get, make sure you buy the certified device and get a consultation with your doctor on how to use it properly and the frequency of usage.
- Ministry of Health Malaysia. (2016, March 9). Glucometer. PORTAL MyHEALTH. http://www.myhealth.gov.my/en/glucometer/
- Srivastava, S. (2019, September 9). Health & Fitness. The Times of India. https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/most-searched-products/health-and-fitness/buying-guide/how-to-choose-a-blood-sugar-monitor/articleshow/71047962.cms
- Top 7 Factors Must Consider Before Buying Best Glucometer. (n.d.). Retrieved October 31, 2022, from https://www.sensacore.com/blog-content/factors-to-consider-before-buying-a-best-glucometer